Wednesday 14 December 2016

Get Better : A Film About Frank Turner

Frank Turner at the Vue Cinema, Leicester Square December 13th, 2016

I went to a screening of Get Better : A Film About Frank Turner in Reading. The film was getting a one off cinema screening to over 50 cinemas nationwide. Frank, himself, was at the Vue cinema in Leicester Square, where he did a Q&A session and then a short acoustic set before the screening. So here's my photo of Frank on the cinema screen in Reading playing live before the film.

The film is absolutely fascinating and follows Frank over an 18 month period taking in the release of his most recent album, Positive Songs For Negative People. The film takes in the period when album sessions were delayed and Frank and his band were left in limbo with no shows to play either. The film covers this dark time in Frank's life as he goes on a downward spiral. The film including many interviews with band members, family and friends brings to the screen an honest account of how complicated a character Frank is, but more importantly a genuinely nice guy who will always go the extra mile for people whenever he possibly can. Frank turns things around and the film ends in a positive light. Here's hoping for a Blu-Ray release sometime soon.



I am one of those lucky people who has been on the end of Frank's support. He very kindly agreed to take part in a fundraising book I am currently putting together for the Beating Bowel Cancer charity. I go to meet and photograph him back stage at his recent show at the Reading Hexagon. He couldn't have been nicer and it's going to make for a great chapter in the book which will be out in a year or so. I am writing the book, where I meet and photograph celebrities, in memory of my Mum who recently passed away after a 4 year battle with bowel cancer. Interestingly I think that if I had seen the film first I might not have approached Frank, as the amount of time he puts aside for his fans is staggering. I felt a little guilty if I am being honest.

Frank's live shows are something else. The energy that Frank & The Sleeping Souls bring to the stage makes for a brilliant show ensuring that everyone leaves wanting more. The recent gig in Reading was one of the best concerts I have been to in a very long time. Frank manages to capture on record something close to that of a live performance, although if you haven't yet seen him live you really must...

No comments:

Post a Comment